Irresolute

Two tasks need to be complete prior to gluing the roof on, while the house lays on its side:  the installation of curtains and wall hung artwork.

20180915_101447

I measured the wall area above the sofa then marked out that area on a piece of waxed paper so I can test arrangements on my worktable, instead of awkwardly inside the build.  I spread out all the artworks from my stash as well as some newly printed pieces.

Decision is difficult.

20180915_101646


20180915_101646

Perhaps less is more?

20180915_102105

You may have noticed in the first picture curtains drying in a pleater thingy.  I attempted to pleat used fabric softener sheets with starch so I wouldn't have to hem fabric.  As I suspected it would not, it did not work, the sheets are too stiff.  Hopefully I can find a piece of fabric in my stash with a selvage end I can use as the bottom, because I can get away with using hem tape for the sides and top.  My goal is to avoid hated sewing.

20180918_074147


planning the loft

With the roof in dry fit I can examine and plan the loft.

20180908_074936

It's dark, there is no access, and the entire area is not visible.  I explored having one of the roof panels removable, or hinged, but discarded that concept as it doesn't address all the issues.  I'm going to put in a skylight instead, using a leftover window.

20180908_074936

I also identified edges that need to be stained before the final roof assembly.

20180908_082733_LI

With the skylight decided, I played around with possible layouts.

20180909_081158
20180909_081158

I mocked up a built-in dresser at one end, but this scenario pushes all the colorful bits together, and leaves little toy storage.

Instead, I'm going to move the dresser under the window so I can put shelves on the end for toys.  This distributes color and chaos evenly throughout the space.


20180909_071445

I'm planning a small built in desk for the other end, with a floor cushion for a chair.

20180909_071445

While I was contemplating the layout I busied my hands with toys.

Nancy sent me these some time ago, which were relatively easy to disassemble...

20180908_092304

20180908_092304

20180908_092304

I consolidated some small toys into baskets...

20180909_072349

...and colored toothpick bits to create markers, which were combined with leftover pencils from the library into a laser cut crate insert with eight sections.

20180909_071602

I've got additional decor decisions to make, I envisioned more for the space than will fit.  Stay tuned.


husband saves the day

I put the roof into dry fit...

20180908_080205

...wherein I discovered a problem...

20180908_080205

...#$&!%*.

20180908_080205

The best way to adjust for it would be to take a corner out of the post, but it would be easier to shorten the post and trim around the top instead.  I ran a few ideas for cleanly removing a corner by husband, concluded that I'd just shorten the post instead, when he finally said the magic words..."would you like me to do it for you?".

After I marked the section to be removed he drilled three holes in those corners, which met in the middle, then he cut along my marks and cleaned the sides. 

20180908_081047
20180908_081047
20180908_081047
20180908_081047
20180908_081047

Perfection!


radiator

The roof pieces were still tacky after buffing, so I couldn't dry fit yesterday, though I did glue in the center support beam.

Since my new dremel drill press was on my worktable I made a wall mounted radiator.

20180903_181332

I set the depth of the machine to drill all the way through one piece of wood, but only halfway through the second (the two pieces were taped together), so that I had a clean side to face the room.  The ugly side is not in a direct sight line.

20180903_150928

20180903_150918

I added a supply pipe and shut off valve to the bottom.  They got knocked off center during the install, I'll fix that later.

20180904_034202