Ahhhh.....I'm back in my studio.
I decided to paint the inside of the house with chalk-paint, to maintain the plastered look. I reviewed recipes with instructions to prepare it with paint and plaster of paris, but then I discovered on a trip to Jo-Anne's...jars of chalk-paint! Now I'll never use all of the big container of plaster of paris that's in my closet, but still...way easier.
I spent a good deal of time removing specks of plaster and paint from areas it shouldn't have been, then re-stained the beams atop the doors and windows. After I cleaned the floor I used a water based stain to darken the area in front of the door and fireplace, and around the perimeter of the room.
The paint dried a darker blue that I was expecting....and the finish is fragile, it needs to be sealed. There is antiquing wax in the same product line, I had it in my basket then put it back on the shelf...I'm going back for it today....especially since the spots where I put the paint on thick dried with lovely cracks....
The floor, water heater, and furnace in the pantry addition were blanketed with a wonderful coat of dust, so I sprayed them with a matte sealer, which, of course, didn't preserve the dust but liquified it into nothingness.
I cut a foundation board for the base, and installed the first shelf in the pantry. I need to get the next shelf (or two?) positioned today, while I can still rest the addition on its side, and before I can connect it to the kitchen.
The wiring needs to be completed as well before I can proceed much further. I proposed my grand plan to my husband...he then explained how to accomplish it, and took me to Radio Shack to purchase what I need. I'm planning exposed wiring in conduits, as this structure would have been built before electricity, and would have been retrofitted. I want the wires to feed into a faux circuit box mounted on the wall in the pantry addition, which will serve as switches for the lights, all of which can be turned on and off separately. I'll power them with a 9 volt battery housed in a cupboard, so the house doesn't have to be tethered to an electrical outlet. It's going to be spectacular.
I did a bit of shopping yesterday, to gather the rest of the supplies to begin the wiring. I purchased paper straws to make conduit, another jar of chalk-paint and some sanding blocks for use on the exterior, some beads to construct lamps with, metal beads that are now miniature baking pans, ivory colored paint for the stove, silver paint from Germany because it intrigued me, and some wooden embellishments to convert to shelf brackets.
Lastly....let me not forget....Susan's gratuitous cat picture...