Last Saturday the final coat of paint on an interior wall went on thick and gloppy and yucky. Every day this week I've made an attempt to fix it. I would get the wall sanded and spackled to what appeared to be smooth, then put a coat of paint on to discover it was still not good enough. I've mussed with it so much that I'm beginning to damage the edges, so I have to stop. There is a bad spot on the wall I'm going to have to hang a picture over, and the damaged edge shouldn't be noticeable because the side of something else you'll see later will follow that same line. There is damage above the doorway I am not going to discuss.
The thought of searching for the perfect piece of appropriate artwork turned into another stress headache, so instead I prepared a packet each for two of my teenage nieces with some art supplies, a collage of what I'm planning for decor, and swatches of the colors I'm using. I'm going to see them both this afternoon at my nephew's birthday party.
The older of the two nieces , Jeni, graduates high school soon and plans to attend art school. The younger, Alivia, was politely and discreetly disappointed with the gift I got her last December, while obviously envious of the art supplies I got Jeni, so this is a good opportunity for me to make things right without embarrassing her by addressing ThanksChristGivingMas.
The weather finally warmed up enough to spray paint, so I was able to work on the foundation this week as well.
MDF has a finished side and a rough side, so I sprayed two coats of primer on the foundation before I sprayed the paint. The rough sides, even though primed, didn't take the paint as well as the finished sides.
To solve the problem I sanded the rough edges to rough up the paint, spackled, then sanded them smooth. I only did this to the beams on the outside rows, as the inside rows won't be visible enough to worry about. After respraying them they looked much better.
I was going to cut a piece of MDF two feet square for a base, but when I measured the piece I had leaning up behind my door and found it was 23 7/8" by 25 3/8" I decided to use it as is. I applied superglue to the bottom of the foundation posts, clamped it down, then went to make myself a cup of coffee. When I walked back into my studio, hot coffee in hand, I immediately noticed I had glued it on flipped around the wrong direction. (I added an additional support beam since the last time you saw the foundation, so that I can sit the floor off center, which means the foundation beams are no longer symmetrical.)
I managed to pull the foundation back off the base, but split one of the beams, popped off several posts, and pulled up some of the MDF base along with it. Had I used wood glue I would have able to get it back off cleanly, but I didn't, of course, because I bought a new brand of superglue and wanted to try it out.
I used wood glue to repair the broken beam, leaving it clamped all day while I was at the office. After work I stopped for "supplies", then glued the posts back on, scraped and sanded the yuck off the bottom of them, then cleaned up the mess.
Now my foundation is glued on the base correctly. I'm not worried about the mess on the base from the first attempt, because it will be covered by sand.
I'm trying to decide now if I want to walk down to the beach this morning for free sand, or if I want to go to the hardware store to buy clean sand. It is beautiful outside this morning.