I went shopping yesterday. Michael's, Pet Smart, and JoAnne's. I hate shopping. Pet Smart was the worst...crowded...horrible, twangy, too loud country music...and some small horse that looked like a cross between a Standard Poodle and a St. Bernard thrust it's entire snout in my crotch, from behind, and almost knocked me over. I have got to start ordering cat food online.
All the paper at both Michael's and JoAnne's was looked over at least twice. Also stick-on vinyl sheets, wrapping paper, etc. I didn't find anything I liked. There used to be a proper art supply store downtown, with large sheets of artist's papers. The big chain stores put it out of business years ago. I miss it dearly. One cannot purchase a just-right shade and texture of paper without seeing it in person.
Once paper was made an impossibility I wandered over to the fabric section. Too many choices! I spent an unreasonable amount of time examining the three dozen almost-the-same-shades of light tan before I shook my head to clear the cobwebs and just picked one already. I'm going to cover the walls with fabric this year. I also picked out a patterned fabric for the chair....or rather, it picked me...I was walking past the patterns to get to the solids when it stopped me in my tracks.
These are this year's colors. Thalo Blue and natural wood for the exterior. Deep blues and browns for the interior, with white, tan, and small shots of gold. The roll of paper at the top of the picture is from my stash, it was one of the contenders for the floor in the beach house, it will become bathroom tiles in this build.
I am going to turn the house to move the front entry to the side, and change the placement of all the windows. This makes the overall proportions a bit awkward for my needs, so I'm going to cut at least two inches from the depth of the structure. While I appreciate that grooves make a nice, tight fitting build, it doesn't make it easy to alter (is that the point?). Thankfully, I have my fabulous little table saw, so can recreate the edge of the walls.
The best course of action for this build, I've decided, is to make and fit the furnishings first, before I make irreversible alterations to the structure. I'll leave the build in dry fit for quite some time, I expect.
The flat section of the roof will be a succulent covered green roof. I've estimated I'll need to make a bazillion paper echeveria. But then I found these at Michael's yesterday. They may be a bit big, but I can remove the bottom row or two of leaves if necessary. They will add some variety in plant size and thickness to the roof, and will reduce my labor.
I'll close with a gratuitous picture of a fuzzy round ball.