59 posts categorized "placeholder"

chickens, eggs, and indecision

Before I forget...Ester is doing much better.  :)

I have been busy enjoying our short summer season, so haven't worked on the build as much as needed to stay on schedule.  If I want to photograph it outside while the trees are still green I've got to have it done by the end of September, at the latest.  I don't see that happening.

A good decision then is to finish the exterior first, photograph it, then make books and whatnot to complete the interior during autumn.  I can prop scenic pictures outside the windows for a backdrop in order to shoot the interior photos inside my studio.

Before I can put on the exterior siding I have to finish the wiring.  I had intended for all the wires to run in the empty foundation space under the floor, and had pre-drilled holes for that purpose before I glued the carpeting in.  Since I changed the build from a hotel room to a library none of the pre-drilled holes are in the right positions so can't be used.  Since the carpeting is glued in I will need the wires through holes in the walls, down the exterior wall, and back through to the inside foundation area.

Before I can finish the wiring I have to make a firm decision on furniture placement.

DSCN5325 (2)

I played around with it most of the day yesterday, this is where I'm going to leave it.  I'm not absolutely positive I won't change out a chair or two later, but that won't impact the lamp placement.  I had a difficult time deciding on the addition of the filing cabinets.  I had envisioned a table there, but didn't have a table the right height; the cabinets are the right height, they're already in my stash, and I can't imagine what else I'd use them for.  They make the white seated chair look crowded in that corner, so it may change places with the chair in the corner opposite, which may mean it will be reupholstered, depending on the layout of colors around the room.  Sigh. 

The furniture placement left me with a problem.  I very much like the lamp on the center table, but having it there means I need to run the wiring through the pedestal of the table, through the carpet, into the foundation.  I can't drill a hole through upholstery fabric without unraveling it into a giant mess.  I scrubbed some glue into the fabric in that spot, once it dries I'm going to use my wood burning tool to carefully burn a hole through the fabric, then drill down.  Wish me luck.

While I was playing with the lighting yesterday I made a lamp.  The top harp/bulb/shade are from Charlene's inherited minis, it just needed a base.  I had a couple of brass finials in my stash, I cut the threads off the tallest one, then drilled a hole through it.  I still need to make a groove in the base for the wires to exit.

DSCN5327

I may or may not work on the wiring today; my husband has the day off and it's beautiful outside.


Irked

I dry fit the double-hung windows on the side of the house, then glued all the windows in place, assuming they'd all be the same depth.

20170727_084109

They are not. 

20170727_084137

 20170727_084210

I should have dry fit all of them, so that I could make alterations before I glued them in place.  Now I'll have to add to the depth with them in place.  Ugh.

I am mostly irked at myself for rushing, but am also a little irked at the manufacturer for the inconsistency.

While I'm contemplating a plan of action to adjust the windows I'm working on the closet door.  It's coming along nicely.

20170727_084352

Save


books and roof

Susan mailed me the burgundy succulents to finish the roof.  She has been making books for her own mini library (two stories, with a spiral staircase, I'm jealous) and said she was putting some in the box.   Some?!?  Holy cow. 

20170626_175234

I want a combination of old and new books in my little library.  I think I'm set now on the old ones.  Wow.  I have the bestest bestie.  :D 

20170626_181633

The succulents she sent filled in quite a bit of space on the roof and the color is great.  I'll have to fuss with the edges when I trim the roof, but I'm done with the bulk of the planting now.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

20170629_053911

20170629_053939

20170629_054008


dying plastic and grooming the roof

The little plastic succulents (fake baby's breath) didn't give as much coverage as I expected.  The only color of them I can find in the store now is white, so I tried an experiment.

DSCN5209

Awww, look what came crawling out of the flowers.  Good thing she made an appearance before she got thrown in the pot.

DSCN5212

The dye worked great, but the green turned out pretty blue and the gray kind of greenish.

DSCN5216

A quick look at them in place proved the "green" ones too unrealistic...

DSCN5217

...so I boiled another batch of gray dye and colored them again.  Much better.

DSCN5219

I spent the rest of the evening grooming the roof.  I pulled off the white plants because I didn't like them, and stroked all the other succulents, removing any that weren't glued down sufficiently.  Then I picked glue boogers, except in a couple of spots where they looked like old spider webs.

DSCN5220

It's looking good! 

DSCN5223

Susan found some of the larger size plants in a deep burgundy when she was shopping yesterday.  She picked some up for me, so until those arrive the roof is on hiatus.  She's coming to visit in a couple of weeks (I'm so excited!), I imagine she'll pop them in her suitcase.

In the meantime, I'll see how much of the exterior walls I can finish before she gets here.

 

Save