I spent the entire day in my studio yesterday, with only a brief respite for a quick but necessary trip to the grocery store. I am loving unemployment.
My day began with the windows. I've never liked the mullions in kit windows, they're too thick and out of scale. Using a cutting wheel in my Dremel I removed most of them.
I also removed the silly scallop from the top of the ridge trim and replaced it with a piece of 'wrought iron' cut from black plastic fencing pieces I have scads of (thank you, Charlene). I like it!
Then I cut a groove in the top of the walls to insert the wrought iron trim there as well.
Then I wondered if the remaining section of the fence would fit in the walls...
...almost....but when trimmed, it does....
I don't know if I like it or not, I'll have to think about it.
Then I took the house out of dry fit and prepped it for color by sanding it down and wiping it off.
I tested all the inks from my stash (in large bottles) on a piece of scrap basswood. None of them worked for me, then I remembered I had two bottles of Rit dye left from dying plastic flowers to make succulents for the library roof. I was imagining a dark grayish green, and the peacock green Rit dye was close.
Because I'm using a dark color on the exterior I needed to do some shadowing beforehand to keep depth in the details.
Coat one done, then sanded...
Coat two drying... It looks horrible right now, just keep in mind this is early in the process.
I have to go to the beauty supply store today for more sanding blocks, and run a few errands while I'm out, so I'm not sure how much studio time I'll get today. But...I don't have to go to work!