7 posts from December 2018
I did have one of Nancy's pointy leaved echeveria kits in stock to make water lilies from.
After those were done and color accents added to the lily pads (not pictured), I set about sculpting tadpoles and minnows.
I started with air-dry clay, because I already had some and figured the first practice batch would end up in the trash can anyway.
I gave up on minnows rather quickly, and transitioned to polymer clay for the tadpoles. Tadpoles would be impossible to create to proper scale, as they'd be too minuscule to be noticeable, so I created them in multiple sizes. I only used the smallest nine or ten babies, the rest I deemed too large, so they'll join their air-dry prototypes swimming in the rubbish bin.
I finished installing lily pad stems on the base, sanded it, then sorted through my jar of 'stuff I pick up on walks' for some natural materials to add to the bottom of the pond.
I used tacky glue to add acetate strips to the side of the piece (which will be removed later), positioned it on a turntable base, then poured the first layer of resin.
I'm using a mesh dome Sheila gave me to protect the piece from cat hair and airborne debris while the resin drys.
I have poured a layer of resin each morning this week, adding tadpoles between layers. I took these pictures prior to pouring the last layer this morning. I have now used all of the resin that's been in my supply closet far longer than recommended, I'm surprised it was still viable.
Did you see the fishing bobber floating in the boat? I made it from a piece of leftover tiny turnings. I save all the little leftover bits in an empty spice jar, for when I need a wee little odd something.
I will give the final pour a few hours to cure most of the way, then cut the stems to size and lay down the lily pads while the resin is still slightly tacky. Final pictures tomorrow (hopefully), then I'll move the piece to the dining room table for a couple of weeks to completely cure.
Snow and icicles made with Woodland Scenics' soft flake snow and water effects.
Fishbowl by Miyuki Kobayashi.
Granny square crochet throughout build by Tiffsniffer.
Leather coat by FIGLot, pink knitted scarf and hat, purple pillows, and multicolored afghan by Fabulously Flawed Minis, yellow and blue kid's sweaters by Sharon's mini knits, purple sweater and yellow hat/scarf/mittens on radiator by MinniesMiniatures.
Teddy bear by LugartPetit.
I'm afraid I'm not feeling particularly garrulous today. Any questions? Please ask.
After much to and fro questioning my photographic decisions, I selected four photos and submitted my entry, the Winter Cottage.
Sand was applied to the base after the first batch of cattails, then the second batch was glued in place. I am using a mix of coarse, dark, Pacific Ocean beach sand and fine, pale, Lake Michigan beach sand.
I sunk a rusty coffee can anchor, just like my grandpa's ♥, and began gluing in lilypad stems.
The bases of the second batch of cattails were sanded, the third batch glued in, and the terrain elevated at the rear of the piece.
The lilypads are being shaped now, I need to decide on placement before I glue more stems in place. I am planning to use one of Nancy's pointy leaved echeveria kits to make a few flowers, hopefully that kit is one I have already.
I dug through my stash on a search for appropriate wildlife. I found a couple of butterflies and a duck. The duck is a decoy so most likely won't be used here, unless he was left in the boat.
I am going to attempt sculpting some minnows and tadpoles. Wish me luck.
I've taken a bazillion pictures of the contest build over the last few days. I have not been happy with any of them yet. It's a very vexing process. I'm going to take a break for a couple of days then come back to it.
Meanwhile, I finished the dinghy Dismay. I cut some balsa seats, and saved the mahogany ones for a future build. I also held back the oarlocks and didn't install the inwales. I sanded a hole in the bottom, then distressed the finish.
I'm a bit worried about the stability of the cattails. Am contemplating.
I won more eBay auctions than expected, so have three dinghy kits. :D I decided I would utilize one to experiment on.
The new glue I auditioned, Quick Hold, did not perform well. I will revert back to the kit manufacturer's suggestion of cyanoacrylate adhesive (superglue), but will add wood glue where appropriate.
I dyed the wood before assembly this time, which I thought would aid in the sanding process (all pieces have to be sanded to fit during construction). It worked wonderfully, I was better able to see where I was sanding, helping me keep straight, even planes. Aesthetically, I don't like the red paired with mahogany, so will have to buy different colors.
Now I am at the point where I have to decide whether to keep going with this dinghy (using superglue) and finish it to be grungy, or abandon the build. A vision of it sunk, tilted, into a landscape of cattails and lily pads, has formed in my mind, perhaps I'll use it for that.
The dinghy kit is much easier than the skiff, as the frame is stable. I look forward to building the next two.