It’s been almost two months since I posted. I’ve worked on a post several times, with a preamble on the current societal situations...how I feel anxious about the future, scared for loved ones, angry at my fellow citizens, guilty for being in a better situation than so many others. It’s stressful for us all and I want you to know you are not alone, and I care about you. I’m going to skip the planned preamble, as the stress, combined with everything else going on, makes me alternately cry and shout. I am mostly coping in a balanced, healthy perspective, but some days it’s very difficult. Thankfully I am much better about talking honestly with friends and family now than I used to be, and am not bottling it up inside.
I was working on the back wall of the conservatory build when I last updated you. I finished bricking, then grouted, but I forgot to seal the wall first, so I had to remove all the grout that was loose then let the wall dry. Some bricks came off. It took a long time to dry, as it has been a humid summer here, then even longer to let a slight warp relax.
While the wall was drying I thought I’d work on the seascaping. I mixed various sand colors then glued some into the bottom of the tide pools and immediately HATED IT. I can’t get it back off without making a worse mess of the base, so I’m going to have to live with it or cover it. I think I’m over the disappointment now.
On a good note. A wonderfully generous note, I got a box in the mail from blog reader and friend Bill, with a fascinating, beautifully documented assortment of natural supplies from the Pacific coast for the tide pool and future builds. I am contemplating a biological station in the near future, next door to the Boatworks.
After gawking for days I used some shells to fill a 1:12 printer’s tray from Stewart Dollhouse Creations.
In an attempt to meet the deadline I’m going to continue on with the seascaping and leave the conservatory‘s back wall until the contest kit is done. More to come soon.