I’ve spent most of the past few weeks working in my gardens, communing with the chipmunks and birds, but did get a bit accomplished on the build.
I finished bricking, then grouted, aged, and shadowed. I stained the boathouse door, applied layers of gloss medium to make faux windows, and added a bit of signage.
A bit of cheesecloth between the layers of the rightmost window made an acceptable spiderweb.
I used bolts, washers, and nuts to fasten the rubber bumper to the bottom of the door opening. I’m not happy with it, the hardware is too high on the bumper, so I will make corrections, and most likely reduce the fastenings from seven to five.
Because I didn’t want shiny hardware, nor rusty hardware, I used heat to remove the shiny finish.
I decided, as I was gluing a piece of stripwood to the side of the door so it would fit the opening, that I didn’t like the blue I painted the door and window, as it created a focal point in competition with the boathouse door. I was pondering whether to sand and refinish them, or flip them over and stain the unfinished other side, when I thought to test others from my stash.
I really like the shorter Timberbrook door (bottom left). I bid on eBay for a matching window in a small lot, but fell asleep a half hour before the auction ended and lost it. I suppose it was for the best, since I am trying to reduce my stash, not add to it. I will use the small double-hung window I already have.
The door needs to be moved to the right, and the window hole resized, so I’ll do that this weekend, unless transplanting overgrown ferns from the front to the back garden wears me out.
I did get the bottom section of the wall painted to look like concrete, then aged, along with the supports the dock posts sit on. I am not happy with the paint job but I haven’t figured out why yet....too gunked up maybe? I’m not necessarily unhappy with it either, though. I’m over-thinking it. Most likely it won’t matter, because by the time barnacles take it over not much will be visible.
I have plans for a roof edge but have to work out the construction. I also need to decide on siding. I stained some thin wood strips already but might use clapboard instead.
I sanded the edges of the cut-out and painted. The paint is primarily to seal the MDF, don’t be alarmed by the color :)
During the past few months I’ve been collecting, scavenging, and crafting sea life to fill the tide pool, but I will cover that in its own post, later.
My friend Bill sent an email suggesting I coat the boat with PC Petrifier. I should have thought of that, I used it on the edges of the roof of the English Cottage Kitchen. I still had half a bottle in my supply cupboard, so gave the boat a couple coats. I haven’t started sanding/filling the inside yet.