5 posts categorized "Conservatory"
First coat of green/gray sanded, then more shading done on the front panels...
Third or fourth coat of green/gray...
I put it back into dry fit at this point to show my daughter when she stopped by last Thursday. She said it looks like a boathouse.
Not a boathouse, but maybe a small boat repair shop....or rather, the office of one, with the exterior wall of the shop behind it, and a boat or two, outside, to the left.
I could cut the conservatory kit down a bit, removing one set of windows to make it shorter, which would make it fit on the top of my bookcase instead of hanging off the front an inch.
I'll have to fix the doors. They only open inward, which I didn't like in the conservatory but decided to live with. It's a simple fix, I just have to the remove the header that stops them from swinging out.
While I spent the weekend thinking about it I assembled a dory boat kit. I purchased it a few years ago for the Tropical Beach House, but didn't have room for it. I'll show you pictures when I'm done, I've got to make the oars today.
I spent the entire day in my studio yesterday, with only a brief respite for a quick but necessary trip to the grocery store. I am loving unemployment.
My day began with the windows. I've never liked the mullions in kit windows, they're too thick and out of scale. Using a cutting wheel in my Dremel I removed most of them.
I don't know if I like it or not, I'll have to think about it.
Then I took the house out of dry fit and prepped it for color by sanding it down and wiping it off.
I tested all the inks from my stash (in large bottles) on a piece of scrap basswood. None of them worked for me, then I remembered I had two bottles of Rit dye left from dying plastic flowers to make succulents for the library roof. I was imagining a dark grayish green, and the peacock green Rit dye was close.
I have to go to the beauty supply store today for more sanding blocks, and run a few errands while I'm out, so I'm not sure how much studio time I'll get today. But...I don't have to go to work!
For my second attempt at a dishrack for the contest build I constructed the frame to interlock and angled the feet to sit well, favoring stability over accuracy.
I used the smallest stripwood I had on hand for the slats. I contemplated splitting the pieces lengthwise to make them skinnier, but was afraid I couldn't do it cleanly, as the grain of the wood usually directs the split.
I used the last of my tiny stripwood, so can't make another attempt until I restock. Restocking allows me to buy the size I wanted to work with to begin with, so you'll see this project again, improved.
After I moaned about the dishrack for a bit I played with the conservatory. I think I've got the layout determined. There is little square footage, so the more delicate and diminutive the contents the more spacious the interior will appear.
Nancy texted me last week, "Did you see this?"...
Of course I bought one, I've always wanted to build this kit.
This is what is wrong....
Seven of the trim pieces for the roof are too short. No problem, I can either cut new ones or add a strip along either the top or bottom edge to compensate.
I'm glad I didn't pay full price. At full price I'd have expected perfection. For the discounted price I can live with glue smears and a gap. Glue smears are especially unwelcome when the instructions tell you to stain instead of paint. You can't stain glue smears. Also, wood and MDF don't take stain the same, so boo for combining the two materials.
While this sits in dry fit I want to finish up the last thing I want in the contest build. I made a first attempt that went in the trash, but learned what to do to make it right. I'm building one of these...
Someone with a laser cutter should make a kit for these. Hint, hint, Pepper or Shannon...