I cleaned my studio a bit every weeknight last week, thus progress this weekend was faster, as I worked more efficiently. This weekend I made the effort to put things back where they belong when I'm done with them instead of pushing them to the back of my worktable. Not only do I have clear spaces to work, but it's easier to lay my hands on a tool when I need it, instead of having to rummage through a mess on the table looking for it. Discipline, Keli, discipline.
I finished painting the windows, built up and painted the porch post, and prepped floorboards for the porch....
The trim under the eaves is in place. I opted not to attempt to smooth out where the roof pieces don't come together cleanly; I figured if I tried to screw with it I'd make it more of a mess. I whittled down that end of the trim piece instead.
The corner trim I ordered arrived on Friday, so I got that cut, painted, and installed. Cutting was very fiddly.
I used matte gel medium to fix the paper at the top of the wall, under the removable roof piece...
...got the porch post and floor glued in place...
...and painted and installed the skylight. Sheila saved my bacon with the skylight; I lost mine, so she sent me hers.
You'll notice that I chose to use a wood strip on the ceiling to help hold the removable roof piece in place, instead of the clumsy wood block that came with the kit. I repeated that strip on the other side of the room as well, so it looks like purposeful trim. Since the strip needs to offer support I glued and screwed it in place so it would be more secure.
The windows that came with this kit are different than any I've seen before. Instead of an exterior trimmed window with loose interior trim this is a two window sandwich. There are two trimmed window pieces, one installed inside, the other from outside, with a piece of acrylic sandwiched between them. I like them. However, because I chose to install the exterior window on top of the siding it widened the gap the acrylic sits in. I contemplated putting the siding on around the windows instead, but decided I wanted the window trim to be able to cover any edges of the siding that weren't cut perfectly .
I compensated for the gap by cutting strips of square stripwood, painting them the same color as the exterior window pieces, and gluing them to the edges of the inside windows. This was the first need I've had to utilize the white glue/superglue combo I've read about on other miniaturist's blogs; it works great.
I then inserted the acrylic and glued the exterior piece in place. This left a deeper windowsill on the inside I can set things on.
Coffee mug by April Wright, succulent by Nancy Enge.
My daughter suggested I repeat the front door's leaded glass pattern in the upper window at the other end of the house. It was a good idea.
The kit came with a rectangular vent for the top dormer. Early on, when I was reconfiguring the roof, I made a triangular one.
I like the house better without it, so I'm not going to use it.
The second skylight I made in the loft roof has to be built up, because the roof pieces are thinner than the wall pieces and the window sandwich was too thick. I could have used only one of the window pieces and cut trim instead, but I like the idea of it sitting up a bit. I wish I hadn't glued the big skylight in already, that would look better bumped up too.