Wallpaper stripping is coming along slowly. I got another little section of wall done.
Upon the advice of a professional colleague I bought a bottle of DIF wallpaper stripper. All the home renovation TV shows that tell you fabric softener is the best stripper, that it's some kind of trade secret...they're lying, the lot of them.
I bought new pulls for the kitchen cabinets. I was going to buy new silver hinges to match the silver pulls, but couldn't find any that matched the hole pattern of my current hinges. Then I took an SOS pad to the hinges and happily discovered they aren't brown, they're copper. Yay! I love copper, and it looks wonderful against the teal.
I was all set last weekend to paint the rest of the cabinets, but then my direction was shifted. Matt wants to bring his CD racks back into the house, and wants to move them from sitting side by side to the left of the door to sitting one atop the other behind the door. He brought the first rack inside, looked at the wall, then me, and said "Oh. I suppose I have to wait until you've painted there first, don't I?"
Since it doesn't matter what order the painting is done in, as long as it gets done, I spent last weekend painting one end of the living room.
I was going to replace the closet doors, because of the gap at the bottom, but then I priced new closet doors. Outrageous! I decided to live with the gap, and painted the doors the same color as the wall. I bought new silver nickels levers to replace the old brass knobs, and will most likely replace the hinges too.
Over the course of the workweek my brain got stuck in a loop of whether to finish the contest miniature or work on the life-sized reno. Which is more important, one has a deadline, what if I focus on one during the week and the other on the weekend, etc, etc, etc. I finally decided that I am going to wake up each morning, ask myself what I want to work on that day, then do that.
Yesterday morning I wanted to paint the worn, flat black dresser that sits in the entry before I roll it back against the new walls and floor. That's what I did. She looks smart. I bought new knobs with a deeper projection because Matt had worn the paint off the front of the drawer behind the knobs. She needs one more coat of polycrylic on the top then can roll back into place.
There was much conversation yesterday, between coats of paint, about Matt's CD racks.
I understand why he wants to move them, they aren't very functional sitting behind the end table, and will be less accessible once I add a lamp to that table. They won't fit side by side behind the door, and if one is cut down so they can sit one atop the other he'll lose two shelves, which means he will have to pare down his collection a bit, but, worse than that, I pointed out, it leaves no room for growth. Possible other solutions were discussed, and it was decided he will make a new rack to fit the space, in the same manner he built the rack in the kitchen. We are also discussing lighting options so that he can see the CDs, but have yet to reach agreement on that solution.
This is the kitchen rack he built for me a few years ago when I couldn't find a functional microwave stand that was also attractive. It is made from threaded steel rod, nuts, washers, rubber feet, and stained furniture grade pine. It has proven perfectly functional, and is extraordinarily adjustable. When I bought Bob the roomba I had Matt raise the bottom shelf an inch so Bob can fit under it to clean.
Matt is out in the garage building the new rack now. I should take him a glass of water, it's very hot today. Ester and I are inside enjoying the air conditioning.